Sunday, December 13, 2015

How to make a Christmas Wreath



Last weekend I was invited to go to a wreath making class with a few of my girl friends. I'm finding it really hand to get into the Christmas spirit this year so I did this this would help... and I must say, afterwards I did feel a little more festive. 

So we arrived at 1pm and were seated and given a rose coloured metal hoop. The instructors introduced themselves and explained what we were going to be doing. I really didnt think it was going to be as hard as it was, but it was so much fun too. Plus the satisfaction at the end of making your own is great. I'm becoming a lot more crafty now, I love being able to do home made projects rather than spending a fortune in the shops. 

Lets get to it.. we tied some wire to the top of our hoops and started to bind it around the moss. 


After about 15 minutes you should have something that looks like this. It cant be too thick as you don't want your wreath huge, but it cant be too thin as you've got to stick lots in it. It's a goldielocks moment, it has to be just right. 



Happy as a lamb with my creation so far...

Once you've moss'd your wreath, you then have to put in some conifers. These are for decorative purposes and to give your wreath a bit of depth.



Once this bit was done it was already 2pm. Home made mincepies and warm mulled wine were handed around and we had a little break, this is where all the hard work will begin. 



This was so fiddley and spiky. You have to get a couple of pieces of holly and wrap a piece of wire around them. Following that, thread it through your wreath - getting spiked along the way - and then twisting it through the moss at the back. This it alone took us about 45 minutes to do. 






The holly part finished, the fun can begin! Choosing what we want on the wreath.


I kept mine quite traditional and went with cinnamon, dried oranges, berries, pine cones and a beautiful gold ribbon.







The finished article up. I am so proud of myself for doing this. It was fun but hard work, I cant believe the instructors can whip one of these up in an hour! it took us 3! 

If your interested in doing this next year head over to the Alrewas Arboretum page here and I know Fairlawns Hotel & Spa do one too. With that one you also get a wonderful 3 course meal too, it's a shame I found out about that one a little too late. But it was such a fantastic day, I'd definitely do it again.

SHARE:

No comments

Instagram

© billygumbex | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig